Capt David Starr 1738/39-1813Leave a Comment
BIOGRAPHY OF CAPTAIN DAVID STARR
Birth 21 March 1738-9 in Salisbury, CT.
Baptized 21 December 1746 in the First Church at Middletown CT where he was brought up.
Death 11 August 1813 while he was on a visit to Adams, in Jefferson Country where he is buried.
Marriage (1st) 29 March 1759 Ruth, daughter of Dr. Abijah and Anna (Ward) Moore of Middletown who was born 1 January 1742 and who died 30 July 1786.
(2nd) Hannah, daughter of Nathaniel and Rebecca Goodwin of Middletown who was born 12 July 1749 and who died 3 October 1818
Children Patty, born 8 December 1759 Ruth, born 13 June 1761 Thomas born 2 October 1763 Samuel Moore, born 1 November 1765 Sara, born 21 December 1767 Elizabeth, born 17 November 1769 Diana, born 15 November 1771 Mary, born 24 January 1774 David, born 8 October 1775 Thankful, born 17 December 1779
Service: David Starr was commissioned 1St Lieutenant January 1, 1777; Lieut. April 19, 1779; Capt. October 1780; Col. In 1781 in 6th regiment Conn. Line. Formation of 1777-1781, Col. William Douglass Rand’s Regt, to continue through the War. Recruited mainly in New Haven, Conn. Went into camp at Peekskill in summer of 1777. Served in August and October on the Hudson under Gen. Putnam and engaged in all maneuvers made in consequence of the enemy’s move against Fort Montgomery. Wintered, 1777-1778 at West Point. In the summer of 1778 encamped with the main army under Washington at White Plains. Wintered 1778-1779 at Redding. Winter of 1779-1780 at Morristown, N.J. Because of Arnold’s treachery the army moved to West Point in anticipation of an enemy attack.
Captain David Starr was under the command of Lieutenant Col. Return Jonathan Meigs when on May 23, 1777 he led a force against the British stronghold at Sag Harbor, Long Island, New York. This attack was prepared and carried out by the members of the newly organized 6th Connecticut Regiment. The regiment recently raised in New Haven Connecticut was given the task of destroying the British stores at Sag Harbor as well as capturing all the enemies that they could. It was an amazing adventure, covering some 45 to 60 miles over water and land, meeting a brave and determined enemy, and returning to Connecticut. The attack left Guilford, Connecticut with 13 whaleboats, 2 small armed sloops and a determination to succeed. Traveling some 10 miles across Long Island Sound and landing at Southhold on the north fork of Long Island, the whaleboats were portaged across the dunes and then put in again in Peconic Bay for the final travel, 7 miles by water, to Long beach, just some 3 miles from the center of the Village of Sag Harbor.
The raid was a complete surprise to the British. It was highly successful, with 12 British ships burned to the water line at the docks of Long Wharf, some 90 prisoners taken (the entire British garrison), as well as tons of hay and rum burned and destroyed. The invading force then returned to the Connecticut shore with all of the prisoners.
All this was accomplished within 25 hours, and without the loss of a single American soldier. The action earned the mission commander, Lt. Col. Meigs, a Congressional sword, one of only 15 given for action during the American Revolution. A stone was placed on the site on May 23, 1902, commemorating the battle.
Oct 12, 1774, David Starr deeded all his right in certain property of his honored father in Salisbury and New Milford. He was for five years surveyor of highways in Middletown, and filled other town offices; a member of the First church, and he brought up his children in the same faith. He early joined the patriot army in the war for Independence, and was made captain. His townsmen did not neglect his family during his absence, for on Dec. 7, 1778, also in 1779 and 1781, “John Ward was especially appointed by the town to provide for the family of Capt. David Starr, a soldier at the war.”
About 1790 he left Middletown with his family, emigrated to Steuben, Oneida Co., N. Y., on a farm that still bears the name of “Starr’s Hill,” about half a mile from the monument erected in 1871 to Baron Steuben. The following is from the annals of Oneida Co.: “Starr’s Hill, the most elevated point of the Steuben range, is the highest land in the county. The view is very beautiful and extensive, taking in part of the Oneida Lake, and portions of seven counties are distinctly seen. It received its name from Capt. David Starr, one of the earliest settlers in the town, who chose for his home this elevated ground. Capt. Starr held a commission in the Continental army, and served seven years. A portion of this elevated locality is now devoted as a place of sepulture for the dead.”
About 1809 he gave up the farm, removed to Lee Centre, Oneida Co., and died August 11, 1813, while on a visit to Adams, Jefferson Co., where he is buried.